Frequently Asked Questions
PAYMENT AND RATES
What are your cash rates if I don’t use insurance?
- Heather charges $4/minute and offers 25- minute sessions for $100, 50-minute sessions for $200 and 75-minute sessions for $300.
Do you accept my insurance?
- I am not in-network with any insurance panels. There are a lot of reasons for this that customers don’t often understand, so let me explain a few: Insurance panels require a diagnosis, which is sometimes not helpful or applicable. They determine which diagnosis are serious enough to merit medical reimbursement. For example, “relationship issues” is not a diagnosis that typically qualifies for reimbursement and yet it is the majority of work that I do with clients. Insurance companies limit the session lengths rather than basing them on clinical judgment and your own budget. This is often not clinical best practice as Gottman Couples Training recommends 90 minute session for couples, but insurance typically doesn’t cover anything longer than 60 minutes. As does any company run by humans, insurance companies make administrative errors that require practitioner time and money to address, which takes away from client care. Two such errors have resulted in me not being paid for months, which was rather traumatic and frankly does not feel like a healthy way to run a wellness business! AND I’ve had multiple cases where insurance covered a claim and then 9-18 months later, they come back to me asking for the money back and suggesting I collect it from the client. This puts a strain on the client or results in me incurring a loss, neither or which is how I want to run my business. I believe in putting my own oxygen mask on first as I advise my clients to do, investing heavily in further clinical training and giving my clients the best care possible. As an out-of-network provider, I am able to do that.
- If you have a PPO plan, you have some kind of OON benefits. Typically with OON benefits, you pay the full fee upfront to the provider, the provider gives you a superbill receipt and then you submit the receipt to your insurance company to get reimbursed for a portion of the fee. This reimbursement rate varies wildly by plan and also depending on what your medical expenses have been that year, so it’s best to call if you’re concerned about the net cost of working with me.
Do you do phone/Skype sessions?
- Yes, I use a HIPAA compliant video platform called SimplePractice. All sessions are virtual at this point and for the foreseeable future.
Do you have an intern?
- Not at this time as I don’t think interns are indefinitely allowed to practice virtually–just during COVID for now.
How do I make an appointment?
- Review provider bios and reach out directly to the provider you want to work with. This can be accessed through the Book Appointment button on our website.
Do I need a printer to complete the paperwork?
- Intake process varies by provider. Please contact providers individually for questions on their intake process. Typically once you schedule you will be provided with intake instructions.
Do you treat XYZ condition? Do you work with someone in XYZ situation?
- Usually yes, but please read the staff bios to get a sense of what our specialty areas are. In the case that you are not sure, feel free to ask for a brief consult with the therapist of your choice. Usually, if we are not the best fit for you, we are happy to refer you elsewhere.
Do you do couples counseling?
- Currently Heather Shannon, LCPC is available for couples counseling. She has completed the Gottman Level I training, is studying sex therapy and is well-versed in Attachment Theory.
Do you work with children and families?
- No, we work only with teens and adults and recommend WatchHill Therapy, InnerLife Chicago and Healing Space Therapy for these services.