Frequently Asked Questions
If you are trying to contact us, please take a moment to read our FAQ to see if your question has already been answered. If it hasn’t, don’t hesitate to reach out–just scroll to the bottom and shoot us an email!
Lotus Center is an office suite of independent health and wellness providers. This means each provider at Lotus Center has their own rates, schedules, services offered and insurance options. Clients with questions about these details should contact the specific provider(s) they are interested in working with.
PAYMENT AND RATES
What are your cash rates if I don’t use insurance?
- Please contact individual providers directly as answers will vary.
Do you accept my insurance?
- Please contact Lotus Center providers directly as answers will vary.
- But . . . here are a few things we think you should know about insurance:
- Even if your provider looks up your benefits for you, we strongly encourage you to call the phone number on your insurance member card to confirm your benefits with any given provider. You are ultimately responsible for anything not covered by insurance. Additionally, missed sessions and sessions canceled with short notice are not covered by insurance.
- Ask whether you have a co-pay and/or a deductible. If you have a co-pay, it is typically a flat rate between $0-$40 per session that you’ll be responsible for. If you have a deductible, you have to pay the full in-network rate (which already gets you a discount on your provider’s cash rate) until you hit your deductible for the year. Once you hit the deductible, you’ll only have to pay a percentage (usually 50% or less) of the in-network fee.
- Ask if you have to get any authorization to start or continue services. Often City of Chicago employees need to get more sessions approved after 7 or so sessions, which involves the provider disclosing more personal details of sessions to make sure they are justified.
- Don’t assume just because your insurance card has the name of a certain company’s name on it that this company will cover mental health services. Fairly often, mental health services are handled by another company not listed on your card. Failure to realize this could leave you responsible for $150-$200 per session.
- If your preferred provider is out-of-network (OON) with your insurance, you may have OON benefits. Typically with OON benefits, you pay the full fee upfront to the provider and then submit a receipt to your insurance company to get reimbursed for a portion. Some providers will submit OON insurance claims for you. There is a company called Better that will help simplify the process of submitting your receipts for reimbursement.
Do you do phone/Skype sessions?
- Some of the Lotus providers offer this service. Please contact individual providers directly as answers will vary.
Do you have an intern?
- Heather will have an intern working at Lotus Center starting in June for $35/session. If you would like to work with an intern, you may sign up for our waitlist here: 2019 Intern Waitlist. We will begin scheduling appointments in May and you will be contacted with further information.
How do I make an appointment?
- Review provider bios and reach out directly to the provider you want to work with. This can be accessed through the Book Appointment button on our website.
Do I need a printer to complete the paperwork?
- Intake process varies by provider. Please contact providers individually for questions on their intake process. Typically once you schedule you will be provided with intake instructions.
Do you treat XYZ condition? Do you work with someone in XYZ situation?
- Usually yes, but please read the staff bios to get a sense of what our specialty areas are. In the case that you are not sure, feel free to ask for a brief consult with the therapist of your choice. Usually, if we are not the best fit for you, we are happy to refer you elsewhere.
Do you do couples counseling?
- Currently Heather Shannon, LCPC is available for couples counseling. She has completed the Gottman Level I training, is studying sex therapy and is well-versed in Attachment Theory.
Do you work with children and families?
- No, we work only with teens and adults and recommend WatchHill Therapy, InnerLife Chicago and Healing Space Therapy for these services.